Monday 3 November 2008

Dining out with non-rawfoodists

Saturday evening I was invited to dinner as a ‘thank you’ for assisting at a green event in Glastonbury town hall. I was intrigued to find out how I would react to this classic challenge that many rawfooders encounter at some point ie eating socially with non-rawfoodists and being in a predominately cooked food environment.

I had read enough blogs and threads on raw forums to feel sufficiently prepared. I was in safe territory; Glastonbury High St, my home town and whole food eateries whichever direction one turns. And then my companion suggested a pub. Gulp. I knew this was potentially dodgy, having visions of hunks of iceberg lettuce and watery tomatoes and so in a bold move I outed myself, announcing that I didn’t eat cooked food.

We headed to the Hundred Monkeys café, I was mightily relieved. Not only is it a lovely space with great atmosphere and laidback friendly service, they offer a designated raw salad. It came with sprouts, olives & cashews. Yum! I encountered some friendly, genuine questions about the raw food lifestyle, which didn’t feel intrusive.

I did have to deal with a spiky comment from one of the party, I just had to let it go. I also had a wonderful drink that I am going to attempt to recreate: hot apple juice with ginger and cinnamon. Delicious and cider-like. Not strictly raw, so in my version I will juice apple and ginger together and warm slightly with added cinnamon. Oh, I just remembered I no longer have pans in my kitchen, doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment