Wednesday 14 January 2009

Equipment envy and what to do about it

I just tweeted about this matter, it didn't satisfy my urge to self-express. I am covering yoga at Shekinashram and popped into the kitchen after class. I was immediately drawn to and mesmerised by the Blendtec Express, in action on the worktop. They were blending up some goo for lunch, "Ooh what a lovely blender," I cooed as the girl in charge hustled me out from under her feet. My rapture for the Blendtec was merging with post-yogic bliss.
The question is what to do about equipment envy. As raw foodists, our approach may be high tech, low tech or something in between. I met a guy at a drumming camp who made his hemp milk using a pestle & mortar whilst my housemate spent £1000 on a Norwalk juicer. Chances are we have all seen a piece of kit that we want, that would be better than what we currently own.
I think that equanimity is the answer here, in other words I must choose to come into alignment with the yogic principle of santosa, or contentment. I am happy with what I have. My blender(Powermill)is sturdy, hard working and churns out great sauces & smoothies. I have identified an item that makes me feel good when I think about it, but I cannot allow that feeling to spiral into desire, which is often painful and causes suffering. Maybe someday a Blendtec will grace my kitchen and I look forward to that possibility becoming reality. Until then, maybe it's time to offer some karma yoga to the ashram, I'll get my hands on one faster that way...

No comments:

Post a Comment