Wednesday 11 February 2009

Birthday gifts for a rainbow raw foodist

Joseph, rainbow rawee and current housemate has a birthday next week and I am choosing his gifts now.

A permaculturist, he is as nature loving as they come, having lived on the land, created gardens and he grows and forages wherever he goes. So it's all about plants then, ideally varieties that can be sustainably cultivated.

I found a lovely mini olive bush here for £15 plus delivery that seems a good price. Thing is Joseph is apt to travel and move around and what if he heads back out to Spain for the summer?

I decided upon a selection of herloom vegetable seeds; compact, portable and containing the potent essence of life itself, ultimately edible - perfect! I found the Magic Garden Seed company. Here is a definition from their website, Heirloom seeds and plants are open-pollinated varieties grown during earlier periods in agricultural history. A plant variety should be originated before 1950 to be considered a heirloom. Some old types of vegetables have been kept alive within communities by succeeding generations of seed savers. So excellent eco-credentials, a matter of fundamental importance for my friend.

Although I tend a garden myself, of potted flowering plants and shrubs, I don't have experience of growing from seed or growing for personal consumption. So selecting seed varieties for a very knowledgeable and experienced gardener... Well living in close proximity I know what he likes to eat. And then I wanted to have a little fun with it. So the birthday boy will be getting: Pig nuts, winter purslane and wild tomato.

I am quite pleased with this selection as it covers roots, leaves and fruit. Tomorrow I will trawl the local garden centre for a bag of organic compost and some clay pots for the sake of completeness. I hope he enjoys them and it was fun shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment