Monday 29 December 2008

Abundance and restraint

I surf a few raw food forums online and a regular theme is how rawees out there may be finding themselves socially isolated within their geographical community. I know myself to be blessed to be living amidst loving, creative raw fooders; particularly that one of us has been raw for over 10 years and is greatly accomplished in the raw kitchen, or raw temple as he calls it! This guy is talented and abundant; making and sharing wonderfully delicious creations such as curry, pizza, cake, burgers once or maybe twice a week.
The question is, can one have too much of a good thing? When faced with unlimited amounts fabulous food, beautifully presented, it is easy to just keep going and plough through platefuls of the stuff.
I have been consciously practising restraint, which is an aspect of abundance: it is a scarcity mentality that keeps me returning to put more on my plate. In the knowledge that there is always enough, that there will be another delicious meal in a matter of days, I choose justenough to satisfy my physical appetite, the stomach. It is a way of honouring the body and also honouring food itself. I treat this as spiritual practice, I am overriding my personal and familial conditioning, the binge mentality: Get it while you can, it won't last forever! There is much at stake here!
I find it helpful to verbalise, as I am declining say, that second slice of cake, I say aloud, 'I am practising restraint around eating.' Not so much to inform others, as much as a means of affirming my intention to myself. I intend for this behaviour to become self-reinforcing; that it becomes effortless, I will have re-patterned and re-programmed this aspect of my relationshipto food. Conscious eating indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment