Thursday 11 December 2008

Unexplained rash - raw cacao related?

EEK! Awaken this morning and notice a sore, angry rash just below my collarbone. I am tentatively linking this to raw cacao consumption on the basis that; I am not prone to skin rashes, that this is a topic of some discussion, controversy even, within the raw food community. To be frank, I been eating an increased amount of raw cacao products recently; in the last couple of days have sampled Booja Boojay truffles and eaten a 40g bar of Conscious Chocolate both days, in addition to heaping a tablespoon of nibs into my breakfast smoothie. For several months I have been using raw nibs and beans with no apparent adverse effects. So, I don't want to be in denial about this issue, however I am moved to wonder whether or not there might be another ingredient causing the aggravation: agave maybe? Or is it down to the quantity of cacao consumed? Maybe there is a culmulative effect taking place? Hmm. Many questions. I am ok sitting with the questions and the not knowing. The obvious next step is to refrain from purchasing raw choc products, which is kind of a relief as they are pretty pricey and I was getting quite into it, lol. I've added a link to Kevin Gianni's blog. Kevin is a prominent raw foods promoter and natural health journalist, he has addressed the issue, his experience is recent, personal and pertinent.

No comments:

Post a Comment