Friday 26 December 2008

Raw resistance? Let it be

Hanging out in the living room in the company of two friends, I'm seeing quite a bit of them lately. They are loving, creative, spiritual, intelligent beings. We hang out in a group, most of us are fully Raw. The Rawee's were in the kitchen preparing the meal. The subject turned to the raw diet, as it so often does, one of these guys a student naturopath with a keen and sincere interest in healing himself through diet, he has pursed the Gersen therapy and eats high raw.
As we chatted away it became quite clear to me that both friends were presenting classic arguments against following a totally raw diet: I am attached to cooked starches, the raw diet is unsuitable during winter, I could not digest a purely raw diet.
Naturally I had the counter arguments on the tip of my tongue: Cooked starch is addictive and acidifying, the raw food diet is infinitely adaptable and is easily modified to be heating during the winter. Your digestion will adapt, there is a transition stage that all raw fooders pass through.
Then it occurred to me how glad I was to have transitioned to a 100% raw diet. What a blessing to have their reflection back to me of my own progress, surety and commitment to the raw lifestyle. How lovely to have like minded friends who were open enough to engage the very personal and controversial area of nutrition and show genuine interest in my experience. How I needed to honour them and not try to press my point of view upon them. Be self-contained in my own experience and respectful of the view point of others. Let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment