Wednesday 3 December 2008

Food, emotions

It's a huge and important topic, worthy of a blog in its own right. I have been thinking about the relationship with food and emotions. This is not new for me however since I became fully raw it is easily apparent when I am using food for non-nutritional purposes; mechnically eating an unreasonable amount of dried fruit, or meandering over to the fridge late in the evening when I am alone. I much prefer to allow true hunger to develop rather than continuously pacifying myself or numbing out with food. There is a kind of beauty in the feeling of emptiness that enables me to feel highly emotionally alive, even though the feelings that present my be uncomfortable, or what we would deem negative; sadness, fear, loneliness. And food is a great panacea for subduing feelings of stress - anything to do with overwhelment and panic is easily soothed through eating; distracting oneself and taking the physical sensations away. I came across the following article: How Food Affects Your Mind Body Spirit by Janice Polansky, MS, MBA which I recommend as a sincere and straightforward perspective on this issue. The author is not a raw vegan, nonetheless she highlights the link between availablility of key nutrients in raw versus processed foods.
Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment